Winter weather is almost here.
The best way to protect you and your family is to prepare now! It’s important to prepare your home and your car for cold weather.
For your home:
- Listen to weather forecasts.
- Have your chimney or flue inspected.
- Install a smoke detector and carbon monoxide detector. Test the batteries each month and replace them twice a year.
- Keep an easy to read thermometer inside your home.
- Weatherproof your home.
- Bring your pets indoors during the winter.
- Insulate water lines that run along outer walls, makes water less likely to freeze.
- Repair roof leaks and cut away branches that can fall on your home during a storm.
For your car:
- Avoid traveling in bad weather.
- Have maintenance service on your vehicle as recommended.
- Check the antifreeze level.
- Keep the gas tank near full to help avoid ice in the tank and fuel lines.
- Replace windshield wiper fluid with a wintertime mixture.
- Check your tire pressure and make sure the tires have adequate tread.
For more winter weather preparation and winter weather checklists visit the CDC’s website at https://www.cdc.gov/disasters/winter/beforestorm/supplylists.html